Monday, August 1, 2011

I Am Legend (2007)

A Good Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Thriller

- A 21st Century adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel, I Am Legend (2007) is about the last man left on Manhattan Island, scientist Robert Neville (Will Smith), after a virus has killed or mutated everyone else. There, alone in the empty city with countless monsters, Neville devotes himself to a redemptive attempt to discover a cure to the virus.

I very much enjoyed this film and would easily recommend it. I Am Legend definitely has the viewer on the edge of their seat for most of the film with enough action, suspense, and general emotion to kill a 65 year old man.

The film is a bit generic here and there however, pulling on your heart strings and especially scaring you in the easiest, cheapest ways. I hate it when films rely on something suddenly popping out of nowhere and making a loud noise for a scare. What a cheap way to make me jump! If a pink bunny suddenly jumped out of a bush while the orchestra hit a loud shrill chord I would still jump out of my Levi's!

Starring as Robert Neville, Will Smith is just as great here in this film as he usual is. It seems that after Will Smith turned down the lead role in The Matrix (1999) he has been taking gambles with other sci-fi films and has made a good choice with this film. I Am Legend calls for a sort of mix between Cast Away (2000) and 28 Days Later (2002) and Smith answers in top form.

The film's final message is great and one that I appreciate - but be prepared for a quite bigoted response from many of the naysayers because of it.


CBC Rating: 7/10

No comments: